Tuesday, 4 March 2014

Spitting mad but almost grateful



In a lifetime’s travelling, I kept my eyes open for trouble. All I had stolen was one travel alarm clock and one rainjacket. Smug, moi? You bet.
Then, in my home town, smugness reared up and kicked me in the teeth. I tried on a jacket in the changing cubicle of a shop, making the classic mistake of picking up my shopping bag and leaving my handbag behind. Returning in panic ten minutes later, I found some lowlife had taken £60 in untraceable folding money. I’m still kicking myself for being such an idiot. 
Still, be thankful for small mercies. The thief did not take my house keys, car keys, driving licence, credit cards or phone—nor my precious writing notebook. No hassle, and life goes on. I could almost be grateful.  

Image courtesy of sattva at freedigitalphotos.net    

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear this, Madeleine, but as you say, it could have been a lot worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it could have been worse. In future, I'll risk a broken ankle and wind my handbag strap round my leg before I try clothes on.

      Delete